door/ignition key

Registered users may post ads for parts/spares here. No complete cars unless for breaking. See forum rules.
Forum rules
1. Strictly no trade advertisements - private ads only. 2. No complete cars (unless for breaking) must be advertised on here. Parts and spares only. Complete cars must be advertised via the main website only which is free for Members and £5 for non-members. 3. Maximum 4 pictures for any one ad. 4. Sensitive communication should be by Private Message - placing of personal information anywhere on this forum is done at the individuals risk.
johnnydog
Re: door/ignition key

#11 Post by johnnydog » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:31 pm

[quote="tony"]Get another one cut and hide it somewhere on the outside of the car :roll: I've got one cable tied to the front suspension.

Good job everyone is honest on this forum, or don't know where you live / keep the car!!!!
That's like telling everyone when you go out that you are leaving your front door key under the door mat or plant pot at the front of your house!!!!
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

tony

#12 Post by tony » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:04 pm

Trouble is you'd need to travel 12000 miles to find my car in a locked garage. :roll: I've done this for many years since I locked my keys in the boot of an Austin A35 in a snow storm. Took a 4 inch nail to get the hinge pins out...never forgot. :shock:
Tony.
1976 2500 TC. converted to S specs.

Lots of bits

1999 BMW Z3.
2006 BMW 325ti.
Hopefully not needing too many bits.

red2000chris

#13 Post by red2000chris » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:54 pm

tony wrote:Trouble is you'd need to travel 12000 miles to find my car in a locked garage. :roll: I've done this for many years since I locked my keys in the boot of an Austin A35 in a snow storm. Took a 4 inch nail to get the hinge pins out...never forgot. :shock:
Tony.
im leaving now!!!
"life is great.....but no longer with a 2000

torque2me

#14 Post by torque2me » Thu May 04, 2017 5:05 pm

[quote="johnnydog"]I always thought the original keys for the MK2 were Wilmot Breedon or Union which didn't have the 'rubbery' cover. The 'rubbery' covers were usually with BL cars such as the Allegro (ugh), Marina (double ugh) and the Mini etc (one good car in that lot...). I would suggest that it has probably had a replacement previously, hence the 'rubbery' cover.
.....[/quote
I had a 1977 saloon (or it might have been the Stag but both 3 years old at purchase) which had a "rubbery" end. I think it was hinged but I never ever seen that type in any motor factors/accessories store. Perhaps a BL "branding exercise (BL on the stub).

The motors referred to JohnnyDog are all Austin's. I read a road review on one of the Italian super car makers product and the reviewer was most impressed with the Quadratic steering wheel. Pity he wasn't about in 1976. My independent mechanic neighbour gave me some advice in my teens when we told him we were all getting a Cooper S. He said buy the Morris version, otherwise you'll spend all your time and money awaiting for the vehicle's return from being repaired.

Kev