Help! part needed urgently!

Everything that keeps your car in contact with the road, and from contacting other road users.
Umquat

#1 Post by Umquat » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:29 pm

Hi everyone... Been trying to work out what the rattle is coming from my front suspension, and finally and thankfully considering what it is I\'ve located the problem. I have a broken drag link on the nearside. It has cracked just beyond the joint with the wishbone.<br><br>Firstly is its feasible, if removed to weld this back up... Secondly does anyone have a spare they\'d like to sell to me or recommend a scrap yard in the Nottinghamshire area that might have one?<br><br>Regards<br><br>Gavin<br>

Alec

#2 Post by Alec » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:02 am

Hello Gavin, <br><br>yes it can be welded, I have strengthened mine by plating top and bottom where it attaches to the track control arm.<br><br>Alec<br>

Umquat

#3 Post by Umquat » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:33 am

Well its good to know that I\'ll be able to weld it. Checked out the arc welder tonight an all seems well, so I\'ll try and get it off the car at the weekend and get it sorted. I\'m just glad I caught it in time. I dread to think what mightve happened if the other side had stress fractured. I guess the front suspension wouldve folded back on itself and collapsed<br>or at the very least i wouldve had some very wayward steering.<br><br>Thanks for the prompt response<br><br>Regards<br><br>Gavin<br><br>

Alan Chatterton

#4 Post by Alan Chatterton » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:13 am

If it has already cracked, do not try and weld it. The welded plates are just to strengthen it to prevent it from cracking.
Try Triumphland in Doncaster..........they should have loads of 2nd hand ones, both anti roll bar and non antiroll bar.........
(just check them from cracks first!)
Or Chris Witor does them with the strengthening plates already welded on, nicely epoxy coated...........

Alec

#5 Post by Alec » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:49 pm

Hello alan, <br><br>I see no reason why it should not be welded, assuming sound welding technique, and while that is being done it is also easy to add strengthening plates.<br><br>Quite why they crack is another matter. Perhaps worn or soft bushings allowing excessive movement, bearing in mind that at that point it is clamped firmly to the track control arm which may be imparting a bending movement to that part of the strut? The majority of load in the strut being in compression?<br><br>Alec<br>

David Withers

#6 Post by David Withers » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:46 pm

Gavin,
Assuming you can get&nbsp;at both sides, I would \'V\' each side of the crack to almost halfway through,&nbsp;then weld from&nbsp;both sides.&nbsp; Following this, I\'d definitely weld on strengthening plates to the arms on both sides of the car.&nbsp; Longer bolts will be required of course (with apologies if you are already aware of all this).
I welded plates on mine when adding an anti-roll bar, in which case&nbsp;each upper&nbsp;plate needed to be shaped such that it&nbsp;cleared the ball of the ARB drop link.&nbsp; I shaped the tail ends of the plates at an angle so that the weld was diagonal across the link rather than at right angles to it.&nbsp; They\'ve been good for 25 years so far!

Umquat

#7 Post by Umquat » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:07 am

Thanks for all the help guys... Located a second hand spare for a fiver locally... Spring Grange Classics at Leicester are shutting up shop in around 8 weeks, and it sounds like the chap that runs it might have a mountain of Stag spares that need to be got rid of.. I\'m going over there tomorrow to pick it up and I\'ll report back when I know what he\'s got and whether he intends to sell it.<br><br>Regards<br><br>Gavin<br>

Alan Chatterton

#8 Post by Alan Chatterton » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:25 am

Spring Grange Classics are closing??????????????
&nbsp;
Any idea why? I thought they were a flourishing Stag dealer, always seem to have at least 20 top notch Stags for sale??
If you are in the Leics area and need some bits (after Spring Grange gone that is!!) then I use EJ Wards Stags, very nearby. Lots of 2000 bits and Stag bits are the same and its surprising how much cheaper some things can be!!
&nbsp;

Umquat

#9 Post by Umquat » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:46 am

Yeah I know.... I spoke to Tony today and I\'m not sure whether he\'s decided he\'s had enough or he\'s moving the business, but he\'s relocating to Cornwall.<br><br>Anyway I\'ll let you know what I find tomorrow<br><br>Regards<br><br>Gavin<br>

Umquat

#10 Post by Umquat » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:24 pm

After visiting Spring Grange yesterday the stripdown began in earnest... The first part went okay with the drag strut and wishbone seperating cleanly from the car. However based in what I\'d seen in the attempts to seperate the drag strut and wishbone yesterday I didnt hold up too much hope, and this proved to be the case. After spending the best part of 30 minutes with a lump hammer trying to drift the old bolt out of the wishbone, I\'ve decided to get the machine shop at work to drill it out, which yet again delays what should\'ve been a relatively simple job..<br><br>Whilst I had the wishbone off i decided to fit the poly bushes that have been waiting for about 6 months to be fitted. After drilling the old ones out it was a rather pleasant surprise when the new ones (split so you fit them from both sides as opposed to pushing them through) went in with light pressure require only. A far cry from the rears that took the car off the road for the best part of 2 weeks!<br><br>The saga continues... One day I will have dismantled everything at which point I\'ll know that I wont be finding any terminally seized nuts and bolts again!!!<br><br>Keep you updated<br><br>Regards<br><br>Gavin<br>
<edited><editID>Umquat</editID><editDate>39488.72625</editDate></edited>