Poor braking

Everything that keeps your car in contact with the road, and from contacting other road users.
Alec
Re: Poor braking

#11 Post by Alec » Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:43 am

Hello G15,

one problem which your method does not address is that if there is corrosion inside the caliper it won't be found if the pistons are not removed.
While it can be messy and sometimes difficult to do it does give a better idea of the internal condition.
Incidentally I have recently dismantled all the brakes on my Jaguar MK 2 saloon, which has been off the road for more than twenty years and all the pistons were free and with no corrosion. I put this down to using silicone brake fluid when the car was previously road worthy.
Silicone brake fluid is a subject I have not seen discussed for some time but it always brought out some extreme views. However in this case I'm pleased that I use it. (The Mk 2 has eight removable piston\cylinder assembles and are priced at about £100 each for new ones.)

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Jaguar MK 2 (Long term restoration.)
Hymer 564 Motorhome.

GinettaG15
Groupie
Groupie

#12 Post by GinettaG15 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:02 am

Stevey wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:46 pm
Thanks G15. The calipers are still out of stock so I've ordered new pads and fitting kit. In the meantime, I'll gently try to coax the pistons from their home and see if they remember what they're supposed to do.
Cheers.

Steve
a quick search on the web and on ebay found at least 2 companies offering a refurbishment service for the triumph calipers:

you sent them your calipers, they refurbish them (new seals and pistons, cleaning and zinc-plating)

Stevey

#13 Post by Stevey » Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:48 pm

Thanks to all for so much useful information.
Both calipers had a stuck piston. Try as I might to exercise them, they were not budging which meant plan B - get some calipers was put in to action.
Calipers arrived but life got in the way however, we have progress!
Both have been fitted alongside Green Stuff pads. Much fiddling was needed to get them in and after doing a little research, I found that it's not unusual to have to file some of the backing away in order to get the split pins to go in correctly.
This done and brakes bled , a short drive along my road was completed satisfactorily.
I then tried a longer trip to bed in the brakes which has led to a little more bite however, changing the calipers now means I don't have to stand on the pedal to get the car to stop.
As time goes on, I fully expect the pads to bed in further - probably for another couple of hundred miles - and the braking to get even better. Confidence has improved massively in the stopping ability and I'll probably change the brake fluid as it is bound to be contaminated.
Thanks for all your help - Basil rides again!

Steve
'77 2500 S Auto
'12 Triumph Thunderbird Storm

Forkie

#14 Post by Forkie » Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:19 pm

I have only just noticed this thread, and am pleased for you Steve that your brakes are alive once more. My Auto S also had brakes akin to an all-round drum system when i first bought it - i just cheated at the time and assumed all was shot and just replaced the lot. Took me 14 years for the test drive though :lol:
Charles - could you explain the comment ' needing good brakes, especially on an auto' ? I know im going to feel stupid here at some point :oops: . I am just wondering your thoughts on why auto's need to be better than a manual.....i await the reply that will make me think ' oh yeah !!!!' .....
Member Number 7392 04/07

1975 TRIUMPH 2500S AUTO ESTATE IN BRG!

DON'T TIDY UP - LEAVE IT WHERE IT FELL!!

Charles H

#15 Post by Charles H » Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:54 am

Forkie, on a manual car going down a hill, you can go down the gearbox using engine braking to assist slowing the car down. An auto, whilst you can move the selector to do this, most people just leave the car in D. Therefore the brakes get more of a hammering. I know of a few occasions that people have 'run out of brakes' on an S estate auto at the bottom of a steep hill with a junction at the bottom!
Charles Harrison
Register member 3095
Folkestone
Cherry Red Mk1 2000 Rally Car
Mallard Blue 2.5PI
Sapphire Blue GT6 Mk3
Vermillion Red Spitfire 1500
Pimento Red TR6
Inky Blue VW Passat B5.5
Arctic Blue Jaguar XJ40
Silver Range Rover Vogue SE

Forkie

#16 Post by Forkie » Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:53 pm

Oh yeah !!!!!🤣 Thats the difference i suppose between a rally driver and a 'sedate' driver like me - i have always looked to the furthest point ahead, and just back off the throttle to suit, and change down as the speed drops accordingly, barely using the brakes at all ; my wife drives 'the modern way ' i.e. foot down , red light ahead, hit the brakes last minute etc. I am more of the ease off, i might not have to stop and can then coast on through type of driver!!! That is maybe why in 36 years of driving i have never gone through a set of pads, or a clutch for that matter on any vehicle i have owned!!! I more or less drive the Auto Triumph in the same manner i think 🤔 even though things are not quite happy at the minute. Maybe i need to change my manner of driving, and put a sticker across the windsceen that says 'Hoonigan' 🤣
Member Number 7392 04/07

Stevey

#17 Post by Stevey » Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:38 am

My daughter drives in the very same way Forkie. Foot down, there's a roundabout, foot down, brake - HARD!
I think this modern method was sponsored by brake component manufacturers. Seriously though, it doesn't make for a smooth ride and is unnecessarily harsh on the car, road surface and fuel consumption. I must say however that my daughter is very slowly trying to change her driving habits to become more 'normal'.
'77 2500 S Auto
'12 Triumph Thunderbird Storm

Forkie

#18 Post by Forkie » Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:05 pm

The one annoying thing for me re brakes since getting it back on the road is the 'shhhh shhhhh shhhhh ' from what seems like every corner each time we take it out for a trip around the town !!! It eases slightly after a short while, but is still there. Park it up. Next trip, maybe 3 or 5 weeks later here we go again ' shhhh shhhh shhhh ' - i think bystanders hear the brake rub before the tune of the six!!! Really annoying, as all is new. I have had all four corners back in the air and could only detect the n/s front disc shield slightly rubbing. Bent that back a tad and all quiet. Until we drive it again !!!! :roll:
Member Number 7392 04/07

torque2me

#19 Post by torque2me » Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:23 pm

Forkie wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:05 pm
The one annoying thing for me re brakes since getting it back on the road is the 'shhhh shhhhh shhhhh ' from what seems like every corner each time we take it out for a trip around the town !!! It eases slightly after a short while, but is still there. Park it up. Next trip, maybe 3 or 5 weeks later here we go again ' shhhh shhhh shhhh ' - i think bystanders hear the brake rub before the tune of the six!!! Really annoying, as all is new. I have had all four corners back in the air and could only detect the n/s front disc shield slightly rubbing. Bent that back a tad and all quiet. Until we drive it again !!!! :roll:
I've always equated that sound as being made by one or more pads and some would say the the run-out on the disc needs measuring/checking.

Kev

Forkie

#20 Post by Forkie » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:10 pm

I would wholly agree on used /worn discs, but as stated not when the whole braking system is new ! I just would not expect it.
Member Number 7392 04/07