Converting to Stag rear drums...

Everything that keeps your car in contact with the road, and from contacting other road users.
JimB
Converting to Stag rear drums...

#1 Post by JimB » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:23 am

Hi all,

Seeing that MkII rear drums are no longer available, what's involved in converting to the Stag setup?

If not wise, then has anyone got a pair of MkII drums stashed away that they no longer need?

torque2me

Re: Converting to Stag rear drums...

#2 Post by torque2me » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:24 pm

JimB wrote:Hi all,

Seeing that MkII rear drums are no longer available, what's involved in converting to the Stag setup?

If not wise, then has anyone got a pair of MkII drums stashed away that they no longer need?

There has been a very recent thread on converting to the Stag set-up. Do a search on rear brakes or something like that.

Kev

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by Mike Stevens » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:46 am

What's wrong with your old drums Jim? If they are not badly oval or worn they should be fine. If not, I'm sure I can find a pair!

I've not forgotten your need for a clutch bearing carrier, I've just not had time to look yet...

Personally, I'd be a bit careful about changing the drums to Stag setup without also changing the discs etc. You might upset the front/rear brake balance.

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

sprint95m

Huh

#4 Post by sprint95m » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:17 am

Owner of a 1979 Dolomite Sprint (EFI),
previously ran for nine years a Dolomite (1850), a 2500S (for 4 years), a Dolomite 1500HL (for a few months),
a Dolomite Sprint (for 10 years) and a second 2500S (for 5 years until 2007).

torque2me

#5 Post by torque2me » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:02 pm

Mike Stevens wrote:What's wrong with your old drums Jim? If they are not badly oval or worn they should be fine. If not, I'm sure I can find a pair!

I've not forgotten your need for a clutch bearing carrier, I've just not had time to look yet...

Personally, I'd be a bit careful about changing the drums to Stag setup without also changing the discs etc. You might upset the front/rear brake balance.

Cheers,
Mike.
I just did the rear drums on mine Mike as I don't think the discs are radically different.

Kev

pete lewis
Groupie
Groupie

#6 Post by pete lewis » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:54 am

canley classic stock new
216461 BRAKE DRUM - 2000 2.5 MKII £28.00 EACH IN STOCK

Pete
Pete Lewis
Luton
also area organiser for herts and beds tssc.

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#7 Post by Mike Stevens » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:00 pm

torque2me wrote:I just did the rear drums on mine Mike as I don't think the discs are radically different.
Stag discs are bigger in diameter (which is why 13" wheels won't fit onto them) and there are others who have fitted Stag brakes so I guess the braking force could well be more than a standard 2000 setup. Not that there is anything wrong with the 2000 setup!

I just wanted to air the view that fitting Stag rear brakes but keeping standard 2000 fronts might cause a brake imbalance. Note that I have not done it so am not speaking from experience! :lol:

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

pete lewis
Groupie
Groupie

#8 Post by pete lewis » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:22 pm

With 14"wheels I found stag fronts were well cheaper than 2000 mk2
so she has stag disc and calipers but std rears apart from the stag hand brake shoe spreader
Pete Lewis
Luton
also area organiser for herts and beds tssc.

torque2me

#9 Post by torque2me » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:49 pm

Mike Stevens wrote:
torque2me wrote:I just did the rear drums on mine Mike as I don't think the discs are radically different.
Stag discs are bigger in diameter (which is why 13" wheels won't fit onto them) and there are others who have fitted Stag brakes so I guess the braking force could well be more than a standard 2000 setup. Not that there is anything wrong with the 2000 setup!

I just wanted to air the view that fitting Stag rear brakes but keeping standard 2000 fronts might cause a brake imbalance. Note that I have not done it so am not speaking from experience! :lol:

Cheers,
Mike.
I was just letting the groupies know that changing to Stag drums has not created any great imbalance on mine. Pete, doing it the other way is also interesting.

It years since I could reel off part numbers and the differences but if the front discs are different size wise then it is (warning, warning - guesstimate) probably 1/4" (9.75" against 9.5"?). As GBP242 is the only pads available now and these were spec for the 2.5 I would guess there is little to be gained from using the Stag disc. After all, it cannot grip a larger area and on my 2.2 mk.2 there is about 1/8"th top of the disc unsweapt.

CW did a comparison test of various combinations in Six Appeal some years back. I think he gave a small percentage gain for Stag disc/(drum?) setup. As I say, I'm unconvinced with a 242 pad usage.

Kev