Steering Rack Bush

Everything that keeps your car in contact with the road, and from contacting other road users.
Harold W
Groupie
Groupie

#1 Post by Harold W » Sat May 08, 2004 3:35 pm

back in October I fitted a new brass bush to the left end of the rack in my MK 1 2000. I had purchased it from U K supplier. I greased the rack well.
Car has travelled maybe 2000mls and yesterday we heard this noise when the left wheel mounted a 40ml kerb entrance. We have jacked up the left wheel and note that the rack is lifting up and done sufficiently within the bush to allow a clonking sound. Most disappointing.
Why has this occured ? has anybody else had such an early wear factor. Here in N Z the warrant people will fail it because of the movement and the  clonk sound when there thrust the jacked up wheel from side to side.

I would be grateful of any comment.  

Alec

#2 Post by Alec » Sat May 08, 2004 6:57 pm

Hello Harold,
yes, very disappointing, I take it that there is no split in the gaiter, allowing dust etc to enter?
Alec

Steve

#3 Post by Steve » Sun May 09, 2004 5:18 am

Hi Harold
Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your car. I must admit I have never rebuilt a steering rack. I changed my car to power steering and fitted a reconditioned one.
The only things I can think could be wrong are perhaps the rack itself was slightly worn and has damaged the bush or that the bush was not made of the correct material.
These are only guesses, hope you get it sorted out.

Harold W
Groupie
Groupie

#4 Post by Harold W » Thu May 20, 2004 2:28 pm

Hi Alec and Steve
Thanks for your comments. At this point all should be ok but I will have to take acloser look so will keep you posted as to any likely causes that I detect. The replacement bush came from the U K and was like the original with that honey comb appearance to the inner surface and the rack seemed quite firm at the time . I have wonder about the type of grease that should be used. I put a standard bearing grease in but wondered if I should have used a heavier one suitable for slow moving situations.