Hand brake adjustment

Everything that keeps your car in contact with the road, and from contacting other road users.
herald1360
Hand brake adjustment

#1 Post by herald1360 » Tue May 23, 2017 5:56 pm

Hi all
I am having trouble adjusting the handbrake on my 1974 2500.
I have disconnected the cables and stamped on the foot brake, heard the ratchets click. Reconnected the cables and adjusted out the slack, several times!! Still will not hold!!
Also fitted a nos operating lever on the nearside
MOT due soon, Help!!

Paul Barlow
Exeter
Paul Barlow
Exeter
1974 2500TC French blue
1972 Spitfire MK1V 1500cc Signal red

Dave B

Re: Hand brake adjustment

#2 Post by Dave B » Tue May 23, 2017 6:48 pm

Cant speak for the way others do it, but I remove the drum and manually lever out the shoe with the adjuster on it one click at a time til I can just get the drum back on over the shoes. Works for me!
Club Member 2035
1970 2500 Mk2 in pimento red[/col
Toyota Avensis T4 Tourer

TedTaylor

#3 Post by TedTaylor » Tue May 23, 2017 9:32 pm

Yes that is what I have done in the same situation. Fiddly and you have to be easy with doing it but works. May need a couple of goes while you get the feel of it.

MUT
Member 4473 1990
1964 2000 period rally look alike AFH 849B
Morris 1800 London-Sydney/Monte/WCR NAM 616G
Mk1 PI Estate SCG 115G
2500 Estate WDE 76K RBRR 2014

Alan Chatterton

Hand brake adjustment

#4 Post by Alan Chatterton » Tue May 23, 2017 10:44 pm

Remove the drums and strip and clean the brakes. Make sure the handbrake pivot is free and moving.
When it's reassembled, you need 2 people to adjust properly.
Disconnect the handbrake cable from the arms. Then pull the handbrake arms (one side at a time!) and pull them in, i.e. Fully off. Then holding them in, get someone to stamp on the brakes hard.
Do the same on both sides, then attach the cable and adjust.
Never fails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alan Chatterton

Location; Redditch

DEL 33 1972 Lines Stag Estate Tartan Red

Blog http://vml3m.blogspot.com/

Alec

#5 Post by Alec » Wed May 24, 2017 5:57 am

Hello Paul,

another thing to check is the floor where the handbrake is, as it's not unknown for the floor to crack which will give an ineffective hand brake.

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Jaguar MK 2 (Long term restoration.)
Hymer 564 Motorhome.

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#6 Post by Mike Stevens » Wed May 24, 2017 6:31 am

Agree with Alan, it's very important that the 2 parts of the handbrake lever that goes though the boot on the brake backplate are free to move relative to each other. If the pivot point seizes then the hand brake becomes pretty ineffective. If they are really seized, the pivot could be drilled out and replaced by a small bolt and nyloc nut but I'd suggest looking at a recent post on here about using a Stag assembly as they are longer (giving more leverage), available and not expensive!

Here's the thread -

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5998

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

pete lewis
Groupie
Groupie

#7 Post by pete lewis » Wed May 24, 2017 7:05 am

Think I said in my hb expander exercise the after market bonded shoes were terrible

continually turning the facing into a black residue , putting the old riveted oe spec shoes
transformed the braking
Incidently Rodsport saidnthe TR7 has the same expander as the saloon

But the longer lever helps a lot

with the new stag levers and old shoes its vastly better

Pete
Pete Lewis
Luton
also area organiser for herts and beds tssc.

johnnydog

#8 Post by johnnydog » Wed May 24, 2017 7:14 am

If everything is free, and moving as it should, in my opinion, you shouldn't really need extensions to create more leverage for the operation of the handbrake. It's masking a problem in the brake setup.
Double check that both levers in the drums are totally free and spin round with no binding at all, and are not worn where they sit in the slot in the shoe.
Also check the clevis pins in them are free to move allowing the shackle (or whatever it's called) to move easily.
Check the ratchet mechanism on the shoes themselves - were they new with the shoes, or were they transferred from the previous shoes (not all replacement shoes come with the ratchets and have to be taken from the old shoes). Have they been assembled correctly?
If handbrake problems have been an issue on the car previously, it's not uncommon for the handbrake lever mounting points on the transmission tunnel to have come away from the bodywork as a result of heavy handedness in trying to get the handbrake to operate. If the lever has pulled away from the floor, you won't get a decent handbrake, and the floor will need welding to rectify it.
From a personal point of view, I have never had an issue with the operation of the handbrake on a MK2 as long as everything is free and lubricated /greased where necessary, with the adjustment being taken up by the ratchet mechanism on the foot brake before the cables are connected / adjusted.
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

David Withers

#9 Post by David Withers » Thu May 25, 2017 8:04 am

johnnydog wrote:If everything is free, and moving as it should, in my opinion, you shouldn't really need extensions to create more leverage for the operation of the handbrake. It's masking a problem in the brake setup.
<snip>
From a personal point of view, I have never had an issue with the operation of the handbrake on a MK2 as long as everything is free and lubricated /greased where necessary, with the adjustment being taken up by the ratchet mechanism on the foot brake before the cables are connected / adjusted.
Agreed! The only problem I've had with automatic adjustment has been caused by contamination in the slave cylinders not allowing free and full return of the pistons upon releasing the footbrake. The pistons need to be in the fully retracted position for the handbrake mechanism to start from the correct point for full leverage. No need for modifications!

I found that timely fluid changes, every two years in a car used daily, help keep the handbrake in good working order. Changing the fluid and renewing the seals if necessary, and cleaning the area of brake dust, makes it less likely for sticky goo to build up and stop the piston returning fully.

herald1360

#10 Post by herald1360 » Thu May 25, 2017 8:21 pm

Hi all
thanks for the info, this my job for Saturday morning. I had an excellent hand brake untill I had to change linings and wheel cylinders a couple years ago. i will dismantle and clean everthing first

thanks again!
Paul Barlow
Exeter
1974 2500TC French blue
1972 Spitfire MK1V 1500cc Signal red