STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUSTS.

How do you improve the performance of your beastie?
ian2000t

#11 Post by ian2000t » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:32 am

My Dad bought a semi-sport Chris Witor system for his 2500S and to get it to fit, he had to drill the 3 holes on the downpipe where it bolts to the manifold to allow some swivel to get the correct angle to fit the middle pipe on!
I bought a sport exhaust from Chris with the Super Sport back box and had to do the same to get it to fit my Mk2. Since then I have taken the engine out of the Mk2, modified it with high lift cam and 6-3-1 manifold (which replaces downpipe aswell) and put it into my Mk1. To get this exhaust to fit to my \'65 Mk1, I had to hammer the gearbox tunnel out to allow for the bigger pipe (Chris told me this is common with early Mk1\'s and he had to do the same on his) and now it fits ok, but knocks on the chassis rail over the gearbox tunnel when the engine rocks a bit. I think a considerable bracket is needed to hold it away from the body! As far as I know, the only difference between Mk1 and Mk2 system is the peice that goes through the subframe and joins the centre pipe to the backbox. The Mk1 pipe is shorter and angles upwards more! At the moment I have just cut the downward angle off the end of the Mk2 pipe and used a good bracket to hold up the silencer!
My Dad\'s 2500S (with Chris Witor cam - 308778 with extra lift) sounds deep and booms a bit with the auto box and the semi-sport, but it still smooth as silk and not racey or overloud.
My Mk1 (Mk2 2000 engine, with same cam as my Dad\'s, twin HS6\'s, lightened flywheel, K&N cone filter, 6-3-1 manifold) sounds really sporty and a little raspy on the Super Sport system!! A treat to hear at 4500rpm but not for someone who wants a quiet, smooth drive!

Clifford Pope

#12 Post by Clifford Pope » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:43 pm

It works fine now, and I am reasonably satisfied with it. It has stopped moving about (heat warp?) so I no longer have to keep making adjustments to the mounts to stop it banging on the chassis.
<br>However the ground clearance under the front middle silencer is less than before, so it needs real care on rough roads or speed bumps. If I were ever replacing one again I\'d go for a version with a single silencer in the middle.
<br>Incidentally I only needed to replace the system at all because my wife drove over a pile of straw on the road. It wrapped itself solidly round the prop shaft, finally bringing the car to a halt. The pipe (it was stainless too) was also tangled up round the shaft and had to be hacksawed off. The entire exhaust system was mangled, but fortunately the down pipe had snapped before it damaged the manifold.

Brian

#13 Post by Brian » Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:34 pm

I have fitted a Chris Witor Semi Sport exhaust to my PI estate and I am delighted with it. It fitted straight on without problems and sounds superb, remaining quiet when cruising with no booming. My PI saloon also has a Chris sport exhaust and this is just as good, though is LOUD!!
Brian

adrian, bham

#14 Post by adrian, bham » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:51 pm

&nbsp;
I\'ve got a Witor stainless semi-sport system on my mk1. It&nbsp;looks and sounds great - meaty but not too loud. BUT it does foul the transmission tunnel causing a fairly continous clatter which is extremely annoying. I had it fitted by a garage as part of a load of other&nbsp;work so I can\'t say for sure that it\'s a problem with the pipe or whether it was just&nbsp;fitted carelessly. I\'m having an&nbsp;engine swap and 631 extractor manifold fitted soon&nbsp;so will be interested to see how they get on re-aligning the system. will post the results...... &nbsp;&nbsp;
adrian, bham&nbsp;&nbsp;

Alan Chatterton

#15 Post by Alan Chatterton » Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:03 pm

You have to look at the kinks as the centre section goes through the gearbox cross member. This is where it will be clattering. If you loosed the clamps (front and rear) you can rotate the centre section to make sure that the right kink goes in the right place and thus avoiding the chassis. Sounds strnage but if you look at it you wil see what I mean!
I\'ll contact you off line Adrian, we still need to meet up and have a play with your PI!
Rgds
Alan
&nbsp;

Bazzamech
Groupie
Groupie

#16 Post by Bazzamech » Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:11 pm

Alan,
I have ordered a semi-sport stainless exhaust system from CHIRS WITOR, it\'s on the way....When assembling, should I be using \"FIREGUM\" or something similar, to smear on the pipe joints, or just push fit and leave dry?
Regards,
&nbsp;Barry.(Cannock).

Alan Chatterton

#17 Post by Alan Chatterton » Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:45 pm

I\'ve always fitted them dry. The fit of these systems is very good, and if you use any gum, when you come to remove part of the system to get the gearbox/clutch out, you can\'t!
Rgds
Alan

Alec

#18 Post by Alec » Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:47 pm

<Kerio>
<id>
</>
Hello Alan and Bazz,
I normally use a copperslip compound on exhaust joints and, for that matter on all fasteners under the car.
Alec
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
<text>
<nopopups>

<Kerio>

Alan Chatterton

#19 Post by Alan Chatterton » Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:33 am

Doesn\'t the copperslip just burn off? Never heard of using this on exhausts before. I use tons of this stuff. Every nut bolt or fastener goes back with copperslip (except the ones holding the exhaust on!
Alan
&nbsp;

Alec

#20 Post by Alec » Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:22 am

<Kerio>
<id>
</>
Hello Alan,
Yes the oil part must burn off leaving a little metal, I would guess, it certainly does no harm and&nbsp;I have been able to split the system reatively easily when I have needed to.
&nbsp;
Alec
<text>
<nopopups>

<Kerio>