STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUSTS.

How do you improve the performance of your beastie?
Bazzamech
Groupie
Groupie

#21 Post by Bazzamech » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:35 am

My thanks to everyone that replied, I now have a CRIS WITOR stainless semi-sport fitted to my estate. It sounds teriffic! VERY PLEASED!!!!!
Regards,
         Barry.

Clifford Pope

#22 Post by Clifford Pope » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:02 pm

Latest update: A scraping rasping noise has gradually got worse over the last few weeks, and investigation showed that the rear silencer was rubbing on the prop shaft. The reason is that the silencer mounting by the rear suspension leg has gradually shifted, apparently under the influence of heat distortion of the centre section of pipe. I don\'t know how else to describe it - it doesn\'t want to stay in the original position, but has gradually bent so that I have to put some pressure on it when tightening the clamp to make it stay put.
<br>A fundamental flaw in the pipe layout allows the front silencer to be very restrictive of ground clearance. There simply is not enough space for it to tuck up alongside the propshaft.
<br>If I were starting from scratch again I think I would get a new system made to my own design. It would have a single centre silencer, and possibly another under the boot floor where there is more space.
<br>Maybe my car has something unusual about it, but I would say the exhaust design is the single major flaw in the model.

Alec

#23 Post by Alec » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:26 pm

Hello Cliff,
I have often wondered about the exhaust design,&nbsp; if Triumph had given a little more width to the propshaft tunnel and run the exhaust all the way to the right of the prop shaft, it would have avoided the route which runs below and across the propshaft. To me an entirely sensible run for the exhaust, so&nbsp;I wonder how the design originated, based on the \"what looks right is right\", Triumphs just doesn\'t look right.
Alec&nbsp;