Daylight driving light mod guide

How do you improve the performance of your beastie?
Matt_2000
Groupie
Groupie
Daylight driving light mod guide

#1 Post by Matt_2000 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:05 pm

After sorting the clear indicator lenses (Click here), I decided I wanted to add some daytime running lights. With LED strips available from ebay (Click here) for only 99p each, I thought I would give it a go ;)

First I cleaned the light housing with acetone, and drilled a small hole for the power cable of the LED strip......

I then removed the wire after a trial-fit, countersunk the holes and fitted the strip in with a small amount of hot-melt glue to hold it in place.....

After cleaning the rear of the light housing with acetone, I put a small amount of hot-melt over the wire to protect the LED strip cable from chaffing or ingress of water/dirt.....

After looking at it, I have decided that the daytime light will look better on top and the indicator below......

The "Silvatech" indicator bulb still shines out well against the daytime light......

I will wire up the daytime lights to an ignition feed, they only take about 0.17A each, about 2W, so not a lot of current, although I think I will make a small controller to dim them at night when the side lights are on and possibly drop the power a bit to hopefully help them last a bit longer ;)
Regards

Matthew :)

Alan Chatterton

Re: Daylight driving light mod guide

#2 Post by Alan Chatterton » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:48 pm

I have to be honest, I have been seriously thinking about doing this to my Triumph too.

I have a new Audi A4 which has the sweeping LED lights (DRL's is Audi-speak, or cock-lights in mate's speak!).
When I got the car, in dark grey I was worried about its visability, but the DRL's do their job and in the 106,000 miles I have done I have NEVER had anyone pull out infront of me or do anything silly.

It was off the road last week having some minor damage repaired after a truck shed its load infront of me, and I had a car with no LED's on the front....... and it seemed to me like every 5 minutes someone pulled out infront of me............

Tempting, nice article on how to do it............ where did you get the LED lights from?
Alan Chatterton

Location; Redditch

DEL 33 1972 Lines Stag Estate Tartan Red

Blog http://vml3m.blogspot.com/

CAR

#3 Post by CAR » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:30 pm

I fitted a strip of red LEDs high up in the rear window of the estate, simply because that is what most people seem to be looking for with car brake lights these days.
Dad has a narrower strip in the back of his GT6.
I also covered all the reflectors in the rear lights with silver foil tape to increase the output. We all know modern car lights are hugely brighter than the lights on our cars, we fit relays, halogen lamps and uprated halogen lamps.
Lets not forget the rear lights and sidelights. The time will come where people don't see cars unless they have DRLs glowing away. Lets not give them the excuse. :cry:

Just ordered some-nice work Matt.

Colin.
Colin and Amanda Radford
Register Show Organisers and Directors
'75'N' 2500S CARMINE ESTATE France easter'09, RBRR'10,'12. TEAM 48 RBRR'16 'HOE'
'71'J' 2.5PI VALENCIA SALOON France easter'10, RBRR'14 'FRanK'
'69'G' VALENCIA SALOON c/w BMW 2.5 24valve and 5spd box 'JO'

Matt_2000
Groupie
Groupie

#4 Post by Matt_2000 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:09 pm

Alan Chatterton wrote:
Tempting, nice article on how to do it............ where did you get the LED lights from?
Click on the "Click here" on this bit of my 1st post... ;)

"With LED strips available from ebay (Click here) for only 99p each"

Or if you dont mind "Breaking the bank" here are some from the UK (well it says location UK) for the heady price of £2.95 for 2, free delivery :) Probably worth it as mine took ages to come ;)

CLICK HERE

Hope this helps :)
Regards

Matthew :)

Alan Chatterton

#5 Post by Alan Chatterton » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:29 pm

:roll: Thanks for that.........

I can put triumph's together, still learning with t'internet!!

I am going to put a red LED strip in the rear like Colin, but rather than pikey up the rear lamps with tin foil....... I just bought new ones!!!! :lol: :lol:
Alan Chatterton

Location; Redditch

murcod

#6 Post by murcod » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:22 am

I got a can of chrome paint and resprayed the reflectors in my rear lights. I'm not sure how long it will last, but the original reflective coating had all but vanished.
David
1971 MkII 2.5PI (fitted with Holden 3.3l, 6 cylinder engine and Toyota five speed manual gearbox)

CAR

#7 Post by CAR » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:15 am

Alan Chatterton wrote::roll: Thanks for that.........

I am going to put a red LED strip in the rear like Colin, but rather than pikey up the rear lamps with tin foil....... I just bought new ones!!!! :lol: :lol:
I'll have my foil tape back then.....ungrateful *@$%. :lol:
IMHO the foil gives a better reflective surface than even a NOS lamp set, but you pays your money and takes your choice.

No updates on Libby recently Mr.C, you can't drive a garage full of NOS parts to the National, or all round Britain. :roll:

Colin
Colin and Amanda Radford
'75'N' 2500S CARMINE ESTATE France easter'09, RBRR'10,'12. TEAM 48 RBRR'16 'HOE'

englishbull

#8 Post by englishbull » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:00 am

CRAJ wrote:
Alan Chatterton wrote::roll: Thanks for that.........

I'll have my foil tape back then.....ungrateful *@$%. :lol:
IMHO the foil gives a better reflective surface than even a NOS lamp set, but you pays your money and takes your choice.

No updates on Libby recently Mr.C, you can't drive a garage full of NOS parts to the National, or all round Britain. :roll:

Colin

He as lost his nuts mate!!!!!!
     Lee Godfrey     Club Member 7075      

1960 948 Herald Coupe in Alpine Mauve
1962 1600 Vitesse Convertible in White
1961 Standard Vanguard estate

CAR

#9 Post by CAR » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:03 am

Alan Chatterton wrote:
rather than pikey up :lol:
I still can't believe that comment :lol: :lol:
Anyway, would go well with your 'pikied up' air intake grill, or is it just that you like your bling a bit easier to polish rather than inside the rear light unit.8)

Come on Alan what's the latest on Libby, surely the lack of a couple of bolts or set screws (rather than nuts Lee) hasn't stalled progress. Lighter evenings should give you a bit of enthusiasm, an hour a night even is 5hours by the end of the week. Look at my blog to see what I achieved in an hour and a half the other evening. Come on Alan stop washing that Audi.

Colin
Colin and Amanda Radford

Alan Chatterton

#10 Post by Alan Chatterton » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:01 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My blinged up chrome grill is obviously not to my taste at all....... but its original, and you know what a stickler I am for originality don't you?...... :roll:

As for the lighter evenings, it is nice.......... but. Get in from work around 6ish, or a bit earlier maybe. Dinner at around 6.15 or so..... then by the time we've done Bath, Bedtime story and bed.... its 7.30, sit down, cuppa........ dark........

Slow going, its not the lack of parts stopping me, its the lack of time!!!

Never mind. Saturday, got to get the caravan out of hibernation and do all my "spring-awakening" jobs on it, cut both lawns and then I can spend a few hours on her. Sunday, its my youngest daughter's 4th birthday party......... I guess I'm excused car work for that!?
Alan Chatterton

Location; Redditch