C V Joint Conversion

How do you improve the performance of your beastie?
tony
C V Joint Conversion

#1 Post by tony » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:29 am

Anyone out there converted drive shafts, hubs etc to CV Joints and drive shafts?
I've recently got hold of plans for using BMW E36 parts. Looks like quite a bit of work involved.
Wondering if anyone has done anything similar.
1976 2500 TC. converted to S specs.

Lots of bits

1999 BMW Z3.
2006 BMW 325ti.
Hopefully not needing too many bits.

TedTaylor

Re: C V Joint Conversion

#2 Post by TedTaylor » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:47 am

Chris Witor has had a conversion available for some years using Datsun bits but getting the parts second hand is now a problem and machining costs make it expensive.

Mind you I woud go down this route if I could.

Ted
Member 4473 1990
1964 2000 period rally look alike AFH 849B
Morris 1800 London-Sydney/Monte/WCR NAM 616G
Mk1 PI Estate SCG 115G
2500 Estate WDE 76K RBRR 2014

mikeyb

#3 Post by mikeyb » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:11 am

You would be better off doing the complete bmw rear end swap as advertised by monarch stags.

Unless you specifically just wanted the driveshafts on their own??

Monarch also sell the improved GKN driveshafts for £300 a pair which I would have thought are just as good at eliminating twitch?

Whats the background to this conversion you want to do? more power?
1977 2500s Saloon

1977Triumph on CT forum, mikeyb TSSC forum. and now you can read the blog! http://2500s.blogspot.com

tony

#4 Post by tony » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:03 am

I don't intend do anything with this, looks like a heap of work for little gain in my case. I'm not going racing or anything similar!
I just came by the info from someone who had modified a TR.
I'm really quite happy with the standard setup but would probably go down the Datsun route if I came across any bits.
I am able to do a bit of lathe work.
Just curious to see if anyone had done the CV conversion.
1976 2500 TC. converted to S specs.

Lots of bits

1999 BMW Z3.
2006 BMW 325ti.
Hopefully not needing too many bits.

Allen Walker

#5 Post by Allen Walker » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:28 am

It's definitely been done - I think they've been offered for Stags (and thereby for MkII versions of our cars) in the past, off the shelf, but the cost was pretty phenomenal. Last pair I saw (used) came up on eBay for about £450 or so.
Supplies of the Datsun shafts are drying up now, some are being hoarded :wink: . There are probably more floating around in Oz because of the Datsun's popularity there.
I think Andy Thompson in Oz has a contact that will do a simplified Datsun conversion whereby hybrid UJs are used. They take a standard 'Datsun-sized' UJ and machine down two of the trunnions to fit the 'Triumph-sized' caps, which then fit straight into the Triumph yokes. This is a lot cheaper and easier to do than modifying the Triumph yokes/hubs, etc., and has proven to be effective (so I'm told).
Andy is a regular user of the CT forum though he is an occasional user of this forum and you could send him a PM.
Allen Walker
Hoole, Chester[/size]
Used to have a 1976 Triumph 2500S Saloon in BRG :-(

Steve Knight

#6 Post by Steve Knight » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:36 pm

I guess the conversion makes the rear end more stable and reliable. But I had to race with the standard set up; in pre 1967 class with no modifications, for over 10 years. The UJ's needed regular replacement, but I only ever broke one; tramping on the start line - should have slipped the clutch a bit more ! A lowered car will not twitch, as it is only the movement from positive to negative and back, that can cause temporary lock up. My car never did.
Steve Knight

raceyredcar

#7 Post by raceyredcar » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:29 pm

Agree with Steve - both our Triumphs with lowered suspension have no twitch and handling is superb!!

Mike
Groupie
Groupie

#8 Post by Mike » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:30 pm

I have those Datsun shafts on my car! Didn't realise they were going for that sort of money though...

Richard B

#9 Post by Richard B » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:55 pm

The CV conversion is different to the Datsun driveshaft conversion which just uses larger (metric) U/J's.

Andy Thompson

#10 Post by Andy Thompson » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:28 pm

Still a few Datsun's knocking about here although getting rarer

Not sure if the hybrid UJ is still available , I will enquire , they were not cheap to make , price wise over here it would be almost a cheap to use datsun UJ's and mod the yokes> I have a very good driveshaft engineering shop locally.

Btw the datsun UJ's are bigger and nearly always in mint condtion - in 180B at least!

All my big Triumphs have the conversion and they are great on a fairly standard car with a bit of roll. You definitely notice when you drive a car without the shafts

Best mod for longevity is fitting a lengthened Stag propshaft complete with bigger UJ's ... 2500's should have had them as standard like TR's and Stags - until I did this I was changing them after every motorsport event :? :?
Perth WA
1970 2500PI estate
1964 2.7PI saloon
1973 2100 EFI Megasquirt
1972 Stag

http://triumphwestoz.blogspot.com/

Very Big garage