General Improvement

How do you improve the performance of your beastie?
Marco
General Improvement

#1 Post by Marco » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:32 pm

Dear Triumph maniacs,

following question/demand:

On my 2500 PI, I need to have new front and back brakes including discs and everything.....
also the joints and bushes has to be done.....

I have seen some convert to Stag disc and rear suspension ? Does they fit ? Where is the difference ?

What kind of improvements can I do, and what makes sense ???????
What do you recomend ?

Best regards from Germany,

Marco

Steve G

Re: General Improvement

#2 Post by Steve G » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:51 pm

I'm guessing that you have a MK 2.
If thats the case then it has the same suspension but the stag has slightly larger brake drums.
Fitting the Stag discs and calipers will mean you have to use 14" wheels to clear the calipers.
I have fitted Stag discs to my car and the brakes are better although I don't know how much difference the drums make. Also fitted to my car are stainless steel braded brake hoses and slightly uprated brake pads.
I got all my parts from Chris Witor, he can supply bushes, springs and front antiroll bar kits.

Marco

#3 Post by Marco » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:25 am

Thank you for reply!
Yes I have an MKII !
The Masterbrakezylinder is rotten..... Do I have to buy the same again,
or do I switch to Stag one (read, that some change the servo too, but some
tel me MKII has Stag Brakeservo and Zylinder allready)....?

Pls. help !!

B/R marco

Steve G

#4 Post by Steve G » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:44 am

It's a while since I did most of the work on my car so I have trouble remembering now.
I think the Stag master cylinder has a different sized bore.
Because I only fitted the Stag calipers I kept the original master cylinder as it was in good condition.
The Stag rear brakes use a larger bore wheel cylinder and it would probably be nessasary to use the stag master cylinder and servo if it is different as well. If you don't then you might get excessive brake pedal travel.
Please understand that I have not fitted a complete Stag brake system myself, hopefully someone else on here can give you some more detailed information.

Thorsten
Groupie
Groupie

#5 Post by Thorsten » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:51 am

Hi Marco!

Is your car equipped with the tandem brake system? If so, the brake master cylinder would be the same as the Stag's but the brake servo seems to be different (according to Rimmers on-line catalogue different part numbers at least).

Regards
Thorsten
Register Member No 6967-06/01
MD2nnnLDLBW # ME37nnnSCBW # 1MG14nnnLDL # 2MP8nnnDLAP

Steve G

#6 Post by Steve G » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:23 am

Thorsten wrote:Hi Marco!

Is your car equipped with the tandem brake system? If so, the brake master cylinder would be the same as the Stag's but the brake servo seems to be different (according to Rimmers on-line catalogue different part numbers at least).

Regards
Thorsten
Hi, thanks for joining in. I hadn't thought about the differences on exported cars.

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#7 Post by Mike Stevens » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:58 pm

Captain Slow wrote:Hi, thanks for joining in. I hadn't thought about the differences on exported cars
All Stags (I believe) have dual circuit brakes, while home market big saloons don't, so that's a difference to think about. I'm not sure I'd want to re-plumb to change frorm single to dual-circuit (or the other way) in a hurry! I'm not sure about any differences in the servos though. If there are, I'd have thought it would just be a difference is assistance ratio which may not be that crucial. The joint where the master cylinder fits would need looking at though!

I have always been successful in just replacing the rubbers in master cylinders, assuming the bore is OK of course.

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

Marco

#8 Post by Marco » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:05 pm

Thank you all for help !

My LHD (Italy-Export) PI MKII does have dual circuit brakes. The Master Brake Zylinder
is the same with the Stag. Servo, not sure yet, if also Stag ? Still checking !
Might be interessting to know if European (LHD) cars did come with Stag components this way.....

Prost, Marco