A better clutch

How do you improve the performance of your beastie?
TedTaylor
Re: A better clutch

#11 Post by TedTaylor » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:24 pm

Jonathan Lewis wrote:
Mike Stevens wrote: That said, I definitely have seen a published warning regarding the dangers of overtravel on the clutch centre,
I agree completely with Jonathan because I too have read this reference in some technical publication or other which is in my 'archive' somewhere :roll: . The design of the spring fingers of the diaphragm allows this as a possibility and the operating mechanism is designed to ensure it does not happen, so any changes to the original design have to be carefully monitored to ensure over centering does not occur.

This can all be calculated mathematically but is complicated because it relates to the ratio of bore sizes, leverage at the pedal/master cylinder end, and leverage at the slave cylinder end - it is simpler to just observe what is happening and be ready for the possibility :? . The fact that no problems have arisen yet on our cars suggests that this is not an issue however it would be prudent to heed Jonathan's comment.
Member 4473 1990
1964 2000 period rally look alike AFH 849B
Morris 1800 London-Sydney/Monte/WCR NAM 616G
Mk1 PI Estate SCG 115G
2500 Estate WDE 76K RBRR 2014

Steve Knight

#12 Post by Steve Knight » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:42 am

Even using early 7/8 slaves, you can get that annoying clutch drag especially when hot. I would have thought some of those retro tuning boys would have shared their knowledge ....... did they not tell me the master cylinder from a Discovery fitted !! I think there was a Mk11 metallic green saloon at the national that had a strange looking M/C. A tiny unit with integral reservoir, but bigger I.D. Not expensive, so that’s the one to use. Isnt it. :?:
Steve Knight

sprint95m

Presumeably.......

#13 Post by sprint95m » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:13 pm

sknight wrote: A tiny unit with integral reservoir, but bigger I.D. Not expensive, so that’s the one to use. Isnt it. :?:
If you use that master cylinder, you would have to then use a 1" bore slave cylinder, because, if you kept the 7/8" slave, the clutch would be rather on/off in operation?
Owner of a 1979 Dolomite Sprint (EFI),
previously ran for nine years a Dolomite (1850), a 2500S (for 4 years), a Dolomite 1500HL (for a few months),
a Dolomite Sprint (for 10 years) and a second 2500S (for 5 years until 2007).

ken

#14 Post by ken » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:17 pm

Hi Steve The master cylinder was from a 110 land rover it has a 19mm bore and ajustable push rod airo hose 1 inch slave on the lower hole works great with 2ltr transit clutch cover( stops the mrs riding the clutch at lights) The one on the v8 Pi is stag master 11/16 bore airo hose 7/8 slave ap race clutch no problems none of the clutchs bottomed out :evil: :twisted: :idea:

Regards Ken
Ken Bryant
GREENMOUNT PERTH WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Register Member 4134
4.3 V8 PI Saloon BRG
http://triumphowners.com/1008
3.8 vs Commodore on lpg
australian built 2500 pi in tango orange