Engine transplants.

How do you improve the performance of your beastie?
Alec

#1 Post by Alec » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:55 pm

Hello all,<br>
our range of cars generally do not seem to be the target for engine
transplants, OK, Ian Lines and Stag transplants and the occasional
Rover V8.<br>
I believe, for no real good reason except to keep it \'tidy\', that
different manufacturers engines are not a good idea. For example I have
fitted a 1275 Marina engine in my wife\'s Morris 1000, but I wouldn\'t
fit a Fiat engine as is commonly done.<br>
I have, however, been wondering about the replacement engine for the
2000 that Triumph designed but BL subsequently fitted to the Rover SD1,
i.e. the 2.3 and 2.6 straight six.<br>
What sort of power and, more to the point, how much could be got out of
it with some modifications. Does anyone know much about this unit or
know of someone who does use it, say in competition?.<br>
<br>
Alec<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

Alan Chatterton

#2 Post by Alan Chatterton » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:10 pm

Alec,
The Rover SD1 2.6 litre 6 cylinder engine is a wonderful beastie. Very powerful (I think it is about 130BHP in standard tune) with loads of torque. It will fit and there have been a few prototpes built by Triumph in the late 70\'s to try them.
Dave Pearson at Canley classics has a few of these prototype cars so it may be best to chat with him.
I do know that it involves a lot of work to fit one, so much work that most people opt for the Rover V8/Stag V8 as it is an easier transplant.
I do agree that changing engines to suitable like for like units is the best way to go, and having diven a Stag Engined Estate (TNH10, Andy Roberts old Lines Estate) I can assure you that it is an experience I shall never forget and one day (money, time and wife allowing) I shall be building one.
Having also be lucky enough to have a blast in Ken Bryant\'s Rover V8 saloon (not the current one, his old Red one SAE when it only had a mildly tuned 4.2 litre unit in it) all I can say is \" ARGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! POWER!!!!!!! WANT ONE!\"
What is it about Triumph 2000 owners whose wives drive Moggies. Sam has a Travellor which we have been rebuilding over the years. Now very good with new wood and lots of bodywork. Next job is to fit the telescopic rear damper kit I bought her last Christmas (who says romanced is dead!)
Rgds
Alan
&nbsp;

Alec

#3 Post by Alec » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:19 pm

Hello Alan,
thanks for the reply, I was unaware that Triumphs had done the transplant but I had ssumed that it would be an easy swop. I assume that the SD1 uses the 5 speed box with that unit?
I will contact Dave Pearson as you suggest.
Yes, my wife\'s is a Traveller also and has the telescopic rear damper mod, amongst others. It goes very well with my \'little old lady\' wife driving it!!
Alec
&nbsp;