heater valve

Other technical Issues with the Triumph 2000 range
JimB
Re: heater valve

#11 Post by JimB » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:59 pm

Jonathan Lewis wrote:
I too suspect that it is a good idea to periodically 'adjust' the heater temperature setting on any car not in regular use just to stop the valve sitting in any one place too long and sticking as a result.

Regards,

Jonathan
I do this practically every journey, since many years ago I had to live with a stuck valve (on hot) through a long, hot summer... :roll:

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#12 Post by Mike Stevens » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:19 pm

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your thoughts - I'm sure you're right! Maybe not about getting down in there though. Sadly, I'm not quite as flexible as I once was.

I thought I'd get a spare heater from the shed and see how to make a puller - which might be easier on the bench rather than in the car.

We'll see how that goes... If at all!

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

red2000chris

#13 Post by red2000chris » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:11 pm

when I first found what was at fault, I managed to move the valve to hot. today I went work in her, and when I got there I wondered if it would move... it moved easily and smoothly by hand so I think it must stick when it cools down, so when I try to turn it 1st thing in the morning the seal has stuck itself to the outer housing. ive now got a new valve from CW, but I might try to clean the existing one and see how it goes.
I also found the green clip that holds the cable to the heater control panel and put it back by removing the ashtray only and just about squeezing my (now ripped to shreds) hand in.
"life is great.....but no longer with a 2000

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#14 Post by Mike Stevens » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:37 pm

red2000chris wrote:put it back by removing the ashtray only and just about squeezing my (now ripped to shreds) hand in.
Sorry to hear about your hand, but at least it wasn't just me!

Interesting to hear your theory about hot/cold valve.

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

red2000chris

#15 Post by red2000chris » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:55 pm

Well...I removed the old valve today and it was in very good condition inc the rubber seal but it was coated in a grey sticky substance which I think was old grease so I think that was making it very stiff to move when cold.
I kept the old valve and tried to fit the CW one but it seemed too big as it wouldn't fit, so I used the old valve with the CW seal and fits like a glove, very light, smooth and WATER TIGHT. job done! :D
"life is great.....but no longer with a 2000