Chris Witor - Parts to buy (Xmas List)

Other technical Issues with the Triumph 2000 range
SimonO
Groupie
Groupie
Chris Witor - Parts to buy (Xmas List)

#1 Post by SimonO » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:03 am

My ropey 2000 is booked into TR Enterprises on the 14th December for an assessment of the poor performing engine (very low power) with a view of a rebuild or possible replacement (2.5 or v8). I've replaced all the consumables and tweaked everything I can but it is not running right.

All the bodywork I can get sorted and paint through a talented mate with all the right professional gear as he's in the trade. (just need the new wings to be made). So I can get it looking spot on.

The front springs look like they are badly corroded and the pads/discs are low, so I am considering putting in a large order to Chris Witor. My thoughts are to just bite the bullet and get new front struts and uprated springs, polybush everything, put Stag discs, and calipers on, 15" Revolutions etc. No idea what to do at the back.

Any advice as to what I should get and what upgrades are the best to go for???

Trying to keep the spend in 3 figures although a small creep into 4 figures wouldn't be the end of the world (just don't tell the wife - hence on here and not FB!).

laurence

Re: Chris Witor - Parts to buy (Xmas List)

#2 Post by laurence » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:26 am

Simon,
Upgrades are usually all good, however, it depends what you are looking to achieve with the car. I have always thought that if you upgrade power(engine) from standard spec then you have to upgrade brakes,all running gear, diff and the bits that hold the whole lot together. Things have a nasty habit of breaking at the weakest point hence the importance of doing the whole job rather than piecemeal. Clearly not the cheapest option but it is the 'belt and braces' approach which,for the long term, is best for peace of mind,
cheers for now,
Laurence.
ps bit cheeky , but if your interested in a set of revolutions,15x6, pm me
conifer green'68 Mk1, fastroad,rally car

royal blue'68 TR5,an overpriced toy, but still good fun, recently completed CT10'CR
wedgewood '67 Mk1 m o/d,the new addition

englishbull

#3 Post by englishbull » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:36 am

SimonO wrote:My ropey 2000 is booked into TR Enterprises on the 14th December for an assessment of the poor performing engine (very low power) with a view of a rebuild or possible replacement (2.5 or v8). I've replaced all the consumables and tweaked everything I can but it is not running right.

All the bodywork I can get sorted and paint through a talented mate with all the right professional gear as he's in the trade. (just need the new wings to be made). So I can get it looking spot on.

The front springs look like they are badly corroded and the pads/discs are low, so I am considering putting in a large order to Chris Witor. My thoughts are to just bite the bullet and get new front struts and uprated springs, polybush everything, put Stag discs, and calipers on, 15" Revolutions etc. No idea what to do at the back.

Any advice as to what I should get and what upgrades are the best to go for???

Trying to keep the spend in 3 figures although a small creep into 4 figures wouldn't be the end of the world (just don't tell the wife - hence on here and not FB!).
3 figures and TRE????????? :lol:

PS Simon................I can see my Xmas list growing if your Mrs does not need find out lol
     Lee Godfrey     Club Member 7075      

1960 948 Herald Coupe in Alpine Mauve
1962 1600 Vitesse Convertible in White
1961 Standard Vanguard estate

SimonO
Groupie
Groupie

#4 Post by SimonO » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:03 am

Ignore the engine/bodywork for now and assume the 2 litre lump and bodywork will magically repair itself. These aspects don't come into the budget (I need the bl**dy thing to go and TRE is close and I'm hoping Mr Shackford will do me proud).

So - If I was replacing the struts - which springs? What other mods? Nothing too wild - just want the car to handle OK, be lower and stop well.

I just don't want to go and spend a load of cash for someone to say "you should have bought...".

Point taken on needing a bribe fund for the wife not finding out! :lol:

SimonO
Groupie
Groupie

#5 Post by SimonO » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:09 am

for someone to say "you should have bought...
...and that goes for my shed of a 2000 too! :?

englishbull

#6 Post by englishbull » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:11 am

SimonO wrote:
for someone to say "you should have bought...
...and that goes for my shed of a 2000 too! :?

Did not have to repeat myself :wink:

PS thought you contacted Dave?............

Can't James do it at "home"........... :wink:

PS Shackford as some very nice shiny discs and calipers so I would contact him first as both he and Dave are fitting these to their PI's........

SimonO
Groupie
Groupie

#7 Post by SimonO » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:31 am

Ah yes, Hoping to rope Mr Harvey into helping me fit all the new stuff in the New Year. Hence why I am looking to get it all purchased and ready to go...

Didn't realise James had a 'home' option :wink:

englishbull

#8 Post by englishbull » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:09 pm

SimonO wrote:Ah yes, Hoping to rope Mr Harvey into helping me fit all the new stuff in the New Year. Hence why I am looking to get it all purchased and ready to go...

Didn't realise James had a 'home' option :wink:

He as sometimes but busy with his house.....................but Dave does engines too

leesellars

#9 Post by leesellars » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:23 pm

Go to TRE first. It may just want a blow out and tune. I'm very happy with mine set up by James. I'm very happy with TRE.
Dave is very good aswell.

Lee
Triumph Mk2 PI 1975
Triumph TR6 PI 1973

englishbull

#10 Post by englishbull » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:41 pm

leesellars wrote:Go to TRE first. It may just want a blow out and tune. I'm very happy with mine set up by James. I'm very happy with TRE.
Dave is very good aswell.

Lee

Agree Lee..................but when know both as long as me don't have to take it to TRE.......... :wink:

Usually a cooked meal in exchange works very well.