Vibrations!

Other technical Issues with the Triumph 2000 range
tr250
Re: Vibrations!

#31 Post by tr250 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:58 pm

Ok so I swapped over to the Stag diff. I believe a somewhat wobbly quill shaft my be the cause of the vibration. It also moved fore and aft about 1/16".

Now I have a new issue which may not be an issue? The Stag drive flange on the extension has a different bolt pattern than that of the 2000. And the ring on the Stag mating surface is much larger than the 2000. I HOPE that I can simply undo the nut on the front and swap flanges. If not I guess I'll be rebuilding the extension

Cheers

Todd

Alan Chatterton

#32 Post by Alan Chatterton » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:48 pm

Yes, stag prop flanges are bigger.

Undo nut, change flange. Make sure the torque setting is correct.
Alan Chatterton

Location; Redditch

DEL 33 1972 Lines Stag Estate Tartan Red

Blog http://vml3m.blogspot.com/

tr250

#33 Post by tr250 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:44 pm

Thankfully that went very smoothly!!

The proof will be in the drive. Having the rotors turned tomorrow...hopefully take the warp out

Cheers

Todd

tr250

#34 Post by tr250 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:19 pm

Well, better but not perfect. The speedo seems to be a lot closer now. Now I have a new noise...reminds me of an automatic transmission. I'm guessing its a mesh issue. For now I'm gonna run what I brung and turn the radio up!!

Cheers

Todd

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#35 Post by Mike Stevens » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:33 pm

Hi Todd,

Make sure the joggle pin is free and the diff has some oil in it!

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

tr250

#36 Post by tr250 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:12 pm

Yep, poured what little there was out and filled it up AND jiggled the joggle pin. It may've been the reason for little oil. Probably a tell tale sign of gears that got warm somewhere along the line

Cheers

Todd

tr250

#37 Post by tr250 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:54 am

So the Stag diff is out...that whine just doesn't give me the warm & fuzzies right now...staring at a 2000 mile beating my car will be taking in just a little over a week. I left the nose piece in as it seems a bit tighter than the original. Yeah and the vibration hasn't gone away.

My question today. How does the nose piece get oiled? I bought a new front seal for the diff and wondered why there is a seal there at all? Obviously the quill shaft passes thru the seal. You'd think the front seal is there to prevent oil from passing by...like a TR diff. If that's the case, how does the nose piece get oiled?

Oh a couple things I discovered whilst having so much fun. The Stag rear mount WILL bolt right up to a 2000 mk1 diff cover and work fine for a late Mk1, but a Stag diff cover will NOT work on a 2000 mk1 diff. 2 of the bolts do NOT line up...the rest do(yes it was oriented correctly). I attempted a diff cover swap because there was soooo much aluminium corrosion built up between the diff cover and the rear mount. Perhaps a generous helping of plumbers putty or gasket paste between the cover and the mount would help eliminate corrosion??

Puzzled in the States

Todd

CAR

#38 Post by CAR » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:32 pm

tr250 wrote:

My question today. How does the nose piece get oiled? I bought a new front seal for the diff and wondered why there is a seal there at all? Obviously the quill shaft passes thru the seal. You'd think the front seal is there to prevent oil from passing by...like a TR diff. If that's the case, how does the nose piece get oiled?

Todd
It doesn't is the short answer, the quill shaft bearing just has grease in and around it. Problems occur when the seal fails and diff oil washes the grease out of the quill shaft bearing and accelerates wear.

Colin
Colin and Amanda Radford
Register Show Organisers and Directors
'75'N' 2500S CARMINE ESTATE France easter'09, RBRR'10,'12. TEAM 48 RBRR'16 'HOE'
'71'J' 2.5PI VALENCIA SALOON France easter'10, RBRR'14 'FRanK'
'69'G' VALENCIA SALOON c/w BMW 2.5 24valve and 5spd box 'JO'

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#39 Post by Mike Stevens » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:53 pm

Hi Todd,

As Colin says, the bearing is a sealed-for-life-type, but the life can be short if escaping oil washes out the grease!

Stag diff cases are bigger than saloon types so a bigger rear cover as you found and as I did a few years ago when I replaced the diff in my Stag only to find it was a saloon 4.11 type with a bodged-on Stag cover!

If you've changed the diff, including nose piece but you still have the vibration, then logically it's not that. Is the propshaft OK? Sliding joint not worn? UJ's not loose or tight? Loose you can check on the car, but tight ones need to be checked off the car. Balance prop?

Sorry if you've done and posted all these things before....

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)