Service and Tune-up

Other technical Issues with the Triumph 2000 range
Trevan
Service and Tune-up

#1 Post by Trevan » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:37 pm

Hello Everyone

It's been a long time since I've visited this forum although I'm still a register member and still use my mk2 as every day transport. She also carried us around Europe on a mamouth 2800 mile roadtrip this summer. Whilst we were in Switzerland the car refused to run properly over about 4000 feet and just would not start if parked at altitude. I'm rubbish at mechanics so I called the AA and the first guy towed us down the pass and diagnosed and replaced a faulty condenser. The next day we tryed another pass with much the same results - mechanic number two diagnosed faulty points and cleaned and adjusted them. The following day was like ground-hog day and mechanic three found the tiniest knick in the rear carb diaphram and he fiddled with it and the carbs and we were off again. Of course, what was really curing the car was the drop in altitude...

Anyway, the long and short of it is that all sorts of people have been fiddling with her oily bits and I'd really like to find someone local to me who knows their Triumphs to service and tune the car up and replace the diaphrams. I'm not really happy about the way she's running and with winter coming up it would be a weight off my mind if she was sorted. I'm in Whitchurch in Hampshire which is close to Andover, Winchester, Newbury and Basingstoke. Anybody know anyone they can recommend?

All the best

Trevan

Allen Walker

Re: Service and Tune-up

#2 Post by Allen Walker » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:58 pm

Southern Triumph Services in Bournemouth? Just over an hour away, but maybe worth a trip?
Allen Walker
Hoole, Chester[/size]
Used to have a 1976 Triumph 2500S Saloon in BRG :-(

Steve G

#3 Post by Steve G » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:14 pm

I can't help with any professionals locally but I live in Andover.
My car used to have Strombergs on it and I seem to remember fiddling with it for ages to get it to run better.

Wear on the carburettor needles and throttle shaft bushes can also make things very difficult to set up.

When I put the 2.5 engine in I fitted the SU carbs it came with as there are a few less bits to go wrong in them.

Alex
Groupie
Groupie

#4 Post by Alex » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:22 pm

How strange I also live in Andover......

Unfortunately I dont know what could cause this problem....although could it be mixture related?

If your in andover and see a valencia mk1 on tr6 steels that'll be me :D

Alex

Trevan

#5 Post by Trevan » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:53 pm

Wow - didn't know this little corner of the world was such a big six hotbed!

Allen - Southern Triumph Services is a possible although I'd really like to find someone closer if possible.

Thanks everyone

Trevan

Steve G

#6 Post by Steve G » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:22 pm

Unfortunately my car has been off the road for a few years now in need of some welding.
I have seen a 2000 coming down the Weyhill road and was quite surprised as I hadn't seen one for ages, can't really remember what it was now though.

I've got a 940 estate as my current main car now.

badger

#7 Post by badger » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:10 pm

Just read this post.There is an excellent garage near Hook called Moonface Service Centre. The owner used to restore classics, but 2 years ago changed over to servicing and MOT's, as it was more lucrative. Jim (the owner) really nows his stuff, especially when it concerns our Triumphs, and his rates are reasonable too, around £45 per hour I think.
Dorset Badger
MK2 2000 m/od. Sapphire Blue.